About Us » Our History

Our History

Our Roots

Felton Laboratory School, originally Felton Training School, was established in 1920 as an outgrowth of a kindergarten program, which was developed under the guidance of Miss Sara B. Henderson, an instructor of Kindergarten and Primary Methods. As a part of the University’s Department of Education, this program continued to grow as courses in methods, observations, and directed teaching were added to the curriculum.
In 1924, a four room building was donated by the joint cooperation of the General Education Board and the Rosenwald Fund for teacher education purposes in connection with the universities normal courses of study.
In 1964, with the expansion of the Teacher Education program, a new building was constructed and Felton Training School was renamed Felton Laboratory School. In 1997, Felton Laboratory School updated the building by adding a state-of-the-art Music and Art room. The spacious Music room was designed to be acoustically sound and to include ample space for storage. The Science Lab was also updated at this time to include more ample storage space and workstations to enhance investigations in Science. Today, Felton Laboratory School continues to strive to provide the best quality education for students in Kindergarten through eighth grade. In September 2014, FLS officially became Felton Laboratory Charter School.